The Amazing Grocery Shopping experience in my village! Nostalgia #7

In one of my previous posts about Nostalgia, I expressed my desire to revisit some memories that evokes strong emotions in me and are special. Click here to read the Nostalgia series

                 ---------***----------------------***----------------------***---------
Image Source: Johann Siemens

One day my mom’s aunt (I call her badi nani – big grand-mom) asked me to come along when she was stepping out to buy vegetables and few other household things.

I thought we were going to some small market but I was in for a different experience.

First, we went to a house to get matchsticks. Not buy, but pick up. Next, we went to a house that had a small patch of land where cabbage, cauliflower and bottle gourd were growing. My nani asked for a lauki (bottle gourd) and the house owner plucked one fresh from the farm. I was so thrilled!

I realized that we didn’t pay for anything that we bought. After listening to their conversation, I finally understood why. People in my village still followed barter system –an old method of exchange when money wasn’t invented.

You see the main market was very far. So people who regularly went to market bought and then exchanged goods like matchsticks, candies for grains, vegetables, milk and milk products with agriculture & animal farmers.

My maternal family cultivated wheat and corn. Then there were cows and buffaloes for milk. The excess produce after reserving a portion for personal use was sold to neighbours and in the market (if any left).

While walking back from this amazing & unique grocery shopping experience, I noticed a brinjal plant. I plucked a couple of them and ran as fast as I could because I was scared the owner would find and beat me for stealing his vegetables. Hahaha

I'm sure things have changed now in the village. But I'm glad that I got a taste of authentic rural life at least once. 




Comments

Popular Posts