I Prefer Being An Adult

I have heard people say that they would love to go back to their childhood; become a kid again. But I prefer being an adult. Even when I was a kid, all I wanted was to grow up. I hate how adults don't treat children with respect. 

Via Pinterest

For instance, the teachers in my school used to slap on our hands with thick wooden rulers (sometimes using two at a time, sometimes steel rulers). On our knuckles that too! And for what? For forgetting to bring one text-book! I knew it then and know it now that beating kids is not a solution. Even when I was asked to kneel down outside the class, or sit on the muddy floor or my books were flung in front of the entire classroom, I knew it in my heart that it was wrong. 

My school life was all about being forced to live in an environment made for extroverts and find ways to function as an introvert. Schools overlook introverts. so does the society in general including parents. 

At least as an adult I could question my professors in college, argue/reason with them without the fear of being beaten up or suspended. As an adult I know it is fine to be different, it is fine not to have a dozen of  friends, it is fine not to fit in. It is fine to be on our own and read books. It is good to feel normal. It is good to not feel the constant pressure. It is good to 'be heard'. That's why I prefer being an adult over a kid any day. 

Comments

Popular Posts